Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-02-08T17:02:55+00:00

    How long will it take until MS address this?

    Sigh.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-22T17:19:24+00:00

    I am having the same exact issue you are with my Samsung UE590 monitor connected via DisplayPort cable.  Both the monitor and the cable are on the recommended list on the surface dock page.  

    Surface support suggested I return the dock and get a new one, but the same sleep issues exists.  The support team has no clue.  Microsoft please fix this!  I am surprised to have these issues with surface products.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-22T13:10:08+00:00

    Here is a poorly shot video demonstrating the issue:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksO-z3f77xA

    What's happened in the video...

    1. Computer is on and connected to the dock and thus the monitor (LG 31MU97-B, via DisplayPort)
    2. The Type Cover is closed, putting the computer into sleep
    3. Monitor goes into sleep mode
    4. Monitor is waken up
    5. Monitor goes into sleep mode again
    6. The loop goes on and on
    7. Until the dock connector is disconnected, then the monitor stays in sleep mode

    Both my original and the replacement dock had the same issue.

    Any idea?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-26T07:06:40+00:00

    Any changes/updates?

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments