Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:28:55+00:00

    RESOLVED with WORK-AROUND!  

    Even though this is an issue with the Microsoft Surface docking block, I followed Luke0330's post and orderd an *ACTIVE* m-ini DIsplayPort to HDMI adapter cable (Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FM50QJC/) which resolved the problem nicely.  My monitor now sleeps nicely and none of my open windows move after returning from sleep. 

    Note that it MUST be an "Active" adapter as a generic mini DisplayPort to HDMI does not solve the issue.

    If you are having this issue, try ordering an Active adapter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-07T10:29:04+00:00

    I have the new Surface Book 2 and the Surface Docking Station block. 

    • I updated to the latest Surface Docking Station Firmware (as of 07-Apr-18).
    • I am using a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable which supports 4K HBR2.

    (Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00595KTKC/) -- I have tried 2 of these.

    • I have tried an LG 27UD68P monitor as well as an LG 34UC98 monitor.
    • I also tried a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with a latest spec HDMI cable. That did not solve the problem either.
    • I have NOT tried the steps from Luke0330's post:
    1. Active mDP to HDMI Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2. HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    You can see a video of the behavior here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW2REzx6UVA

    I should not have to have a special adapter to solve this problem (even though I have not tried it).  Both monitors are only a few months old. Why is this issue occurring?  It does not happen if the monitor is connected directly to my Surface Book 2. Microsoft... any plans to fix this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments