Update #2:
Found another thread that seem to be talking about the same issue: Issue with OneDrive Desktop App - Shared Folders Became Web Links
But none of them seem to provide solution to this problem.
Update:
Looks like there is already a post about this exact same issue; I don't know how I missed it when I was searching for existing issues. Anyway, here is the link: OneDrive shared folders are now a url shortcut (I need to fix it) - Microsoft Community
Found another one: Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on - Microsoft Community
Looks like the issue is still active and there hasn't been any solution to it yet.
Hi there,
I have a shared folder from someone that I collaborate with and I use "Add shortcut to My Files" option so add the shortcut so that I can access it from my Explorer. This has been working great until yesterday. Starting yesterday, I stopped seeing the folder completely from my explorer; instead, I see an entry with the same name with type "Internet Shortcut". When I open it, a new browser instance opens and takes me to the OneDrive website. On the web interface, it opens the folder correctly.
Here are some screenshots:

In shared, I see the folder named "1-...", which is the folder that was shared to me. I then click the ... to open the menu and click "Add shortcut to My Files".

The folder is added correctly in My Files but it has the "shortcut" looking icon attached to the folder icon. Click the link takes me to the folder correctly.
In the explorer, however, it's showing up as "Internet Shortcut".

And therefore, I cannot access the content of that folder directly.
This seems to be a behavior change that I cannot rollback. It was very useful to be able to access the shared folder from explorer so I can read/write files directly from the app instead of having to download/download. Is this expected change?
Expected behavior:
A folder is created with name matching the shared folder name. Opening the folder shows the content of the folder.
Files can be read and write as if they were local files.
Actual behavior:
An "Internet shortcut" is created. Opening the shortcut takes me to the OneDrive page.
Files cannot be read and write directly.
Thanks in advance.