Why can I no longer search file contents on Onedrive?

Anonymous
2024-10-01T16:41:33+00:00

Once upon a time, the Onedrive search feature allowed you to search file contents, as well as file names.

Now it appears that Onedrive only allows you to search file names.

When did this change, and why? Content searches were a very practical feature.

Microsoft will lose users to better services (such as Google Drive) if it continues to make regressive changes like this. Being able to search file contents is a very low bar in 2024.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T20:54:52+00:00

    Hello Tracy,

    The search is not working, today is 22nd January 2025.

    Do you have an update on the fix?

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-03T12:29:11+00:00

    It's January '25 and file content search still does not work.

    It worked fine (not great) some months ago.

    So much for the October '24 deadline.

    Someone would think that Microsoft, the biggest company in this field, would not leave us out in the rain like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-03T11:32:13+00:00

    I tested a few search queries and obtained the same results on web (PC) and on mobile (iOS and Android).

    So it's definitely a server/cloud switch somewhere. I guess they are fixing it in waves because every now and then someone tells us that the search function came back after being missing for some months.

    I just wish they had treated this issue properly. We should have been informed appropriately.

    Unfortunately, I need to update this post.

    After noticing that the search function had returned, I decided to upload all my work files to OneDrive again.

    Imagine my surprise when those new files weren’t showing up in the search -- neither by file name nor, of course, by file content. Only two things could have happened.

    First, OneDrive takes an absurd amount of time to index uploaded files.

    Or second, the function that used to work simply decided to stop working for me.

    That’s it, folks. I'm still without a basic feature in an online storage system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T19:41:18+00:00

    16 February and I can't search within my files. This makes me much less productive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-06T07:55:29+00:00

    Hello,

    I hope Microsoft will do what is necessary, especially for a feature that was present before and works on all other drives on the market (Google for example).

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments