A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
The problem is not fixed
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Once upon a time, the Onedrive search feature allowed you to search file contents, as well as file names.
Now it appears that Onedrive only allows you to search file names.
When did this change, and why? Content searches were a very practical feature.
Microsoft will lose users to better services (such as Google Drive) if it continues to make regressive changes like this. Being able to search file contents is a very low bar in 2024.
A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
The problem is not fixed
So it's now June 2025 and looks like the same problem still persists. My company's IT consultant tried to troubleshoot for me yesterday and said it is a known problem for personal accounts only and nothing they can do but wait for Microsoft to fix the problem. I find it very hard to believe that Microsoft can figure out how to ensure company/business accounts remain searchable but individuals search function cannot be fixed?
I tested a few search queries and obtained the same results on web (PC) and on mobile (iOS and Android).
So it's definitely a server/cloud switch somewhere. I guess they are fixing it in waves because every now and then someone tells us that the search function came back after being missing for some months.
I just wish they had treated this issue properly. We should have been informed appropriately.
That's the annoying thing, some people have got the search function back.
I've had a further reply from OneDrive Support to say that the "engineering team is working diligently on the issue. I assure you we are giving it our utmost priority. Currently we do not have an ETA on this issue."
And they have closed the case, then invited me to give feedback on the support I received. I did.
kpt