Why can I no longer search file contents on Onedrive?

Anonymous
2024-10-01T16:41:33+00:00

Once upon a time, the Onedrive search feature allowed you to search file contents, as well as file names.

Now it appears that Onedrive only allows you to search file names.

When did this change, and why? Content searches were a very practical feature.

Microsoft will lose users to better services (such as Google Drive) if it continues to make regressive changes like this. Being able to search file contents is a very low bar in 2024.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-07T13:10:03+00:00

    So users have to wait an entire month for this issue to be fixed? This is absolutley ridiculous. We run a business usisng onedrive and this is insane. We cannot effectively run a business when we cannot search for our invoices. This issue needs to be fixed NOW; There is no excuse as to why this will take an entire month. Shame on you Microsoft. We will be looking to take our business elsewhere. Someplace more reliable and willing to fix their issues. Enough is enough.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-13T20:02:59+00:00

    This is really disappointing. It’s one of the basic functions of any cloud storage. Additionally, a simple search of the problem shows that this isn’t the first time it’s happened with OneDrive. Even though other services aren’t as well integrated with Windows as OneDrive, this is really pushing me to go back to Google Drive, but I have to download absolutely everything and move.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-30T00:39:41+00:00

    December 30th, and I am having the same issue. I used to be able to pull up any OCR content from my vast library of images. I would be able to take a picture of my bookshelves and easily search for a book I was looking for and it would show up. Now, the search works for nothing but file names. Disappointing, that they have nerfed this so severely and with no end in sight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-18T19:11:13+00:00

    I have been experiencing this issue and it is not fixed yet (November 18th!) it has been a key feature for me and the malfunction is causing me problems. I hope it is fixed soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-21T14:58:03+00:00

    I'm definitely moving back to Google Drive. I've already canceled the renewal of my OneDrive subscription. This is BASIC for a cloud service, and it's not the first time it fails. The Android app, moreover, is awful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments