Excel Does Nothing When Inserting/Deleting Rows or Columns

Anonymous
2024-06-06T13:08:38+00:00

When using excel since the May 30th update, Excel does nothing when inserting/deleting rows/columns.

The insert and insert paste row/column options are not greyed out on right click. When the insert option is selected, nothing happens. Same for the Insert sheet rows/columns in the home tab: nothing happens when clicked. No error messages either, it seems like excel just forgets what you told it to do.

This is happening on newly opened blank workbooks as well, so there are no frozen panes, sheet protection, hidden rows, worksheet errors or corrupt workbooks, and there's no point in restarting excel for a workbook that was just opened.

I have already repaired and re-installed office 365.

Restarting the computer allows me to insert rows/columns 2-3 times before it breaks again.

EDIT: added "deleting" and "columns" to initial "could not insert rows"

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T18:35:25+00:00

    I am experiencing the exact same issues as OP, as is my fellow analyst in office. There is one additional major issue occurring, where the rows inserted rows DO NOT appear (as the original thread points out), but formulas driven off those cells DO, so it's a truly workbook-breaking issue. I have not been able to find a way to work around it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-18T08:43:02+00:00

    Hello,

    There are now several threads on the Msft community about this - it seems the bug is affecting many users.

    It is not just affecting large or complicated workbooks, I've had it cause an issue on a very simple model while delivering training (which as you can imagine was as big a problem as the corruptions it has caused on our complex models).

    Since there's been radio silence on an ETA for a fix, I rolled back versions yesterday and this has been incredibly painful. I've lost all my Office preferences and customisations, had to wait for hours for all my mail to download again, install add-ins in Excel again, etc. etc. The worst is that my Outlook calendar was lost...I'm having to ask clients to re-send invites and know that I'll inevitably miss some appointments!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T16:47:43+00:00

    I have had exactly the same issue, starting about the same time of May 30th. I have to shut down and restart Excel and then maybe it is good for 2 or 3 "insert row" or "insert paste row" before it fails to respond again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T11:23:11+00:00

    I cannot reproduce your issue on your file. You may try clearing formatting for entire worksheet.

    1. Select entire worksheet
    2. Clear formats

    Image

    This did not help.

    EDIT: I have also discovered that I cannot delete rows/columns either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments