Excel Does Nothing When Inserting/Deleting Rows or Columns

Anonymous
2024-06-06T13:08:38+00:00

When using excel since the May 30th update, Excel does nothing when inserting/deleting rows/columns.

The insert and insert paste row/column options are not greyed out on right click. When the insert option is selected, nothing happens. Same for the Insert sheet rows/columns in the home tab: nothing happens when clicked. No error messages either, it seems like excel just forgets what you told it to do.

This is happening on newly opened blank workbooks as well, so there are no frozen panes, sheet protection, hidden rows, worksheet errors or corrupt workbooks, and there's no point in restarting excel for a workbook that was just opened.

I have already repaired and re-installed office 365.

Restarting the computer allows me to insert rows/columns 2-3 times before it breaks again.

EDIT: added "deleting" and "columns" to initial "could not insert rows"

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-06-13T16:29:55+00:00

    I am also getting this issue on 365 and some of the steps mentioned have no impact.

    Ryan

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-12T13:58:41+00:00

    You may try Roll back Office update

    ODT tool

    How to revert to an earlier version of Office - Microsoft Support

    Or CMD

    1. Start an Office application (such as Excel), and then select File > Account. select Update Options > Disable Updates.
    2. Type cmd on the start menu, right click on the Command Prompt, choose Run as Administrator
    3. Copy/paste these two commands one at a time and press enter

    cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17531.20152

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T20:04:21+00:00

    I am having the same issue. It has only started doing it recently. I try to insert or delete a row, and sometimes it works, other times it just does nothing, also no error message or anything. If I just keep trying, eventually it works, but its only after repeating the action about 6 or 7 times then suddenly it will insert a row, but then will stop again after that and I have to try again multiple times.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-10T16:56:12+00:00

    I have received several files with same issue. Some files will work again after 30 seconds. Hope Microsoft will fix it soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments