How to disable the research pane in Excel?

Anonymous
2024-04-15T07:26:16+00:00

The research pane automatically pops up while using Excel. Not sure is there any trigger keys for this. But I'm unable to disable the research pop ups once it is activated. Currently we close all the excel files and reopen them only then the pane is disabled.

Is there any way to disable the pane permanently?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
HansV 462.7K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-04-15T08:27:58+00:00
  • Start Excel.
  • Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
  • Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
  • Enter the following line, or copy/paste it from this post into the Immediate window:
     
    Application.CommandBars("Research").Enabled = False
  • With the insertion point anywhere in the line, press Enter.
  • Press Alt+F4 to close the Visual Basic Editor.
  • The Research task pane shouldn't appear any more.

Was this answer helpful?

1000+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T08:46:52+00:00

    This removes it once not permanently.

    You can do the same by pressing the check box and toggling off and on to the affected spreadsheet. There needs to be a way of getting rid of the thing permanently not just for the current session.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T15:08:30+00:00
    • Start Excel.
    • Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    • Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
    • Enter the following line, or copy/paste it from this post into the Immediate window:
       
      Application.CommandBars("Research").Enabled = False
    • With the insertion point anywhere in the line, press Enter.
    • Press Alt+F4 to close the Visual Basic Editor.
    • The Research task pane shouldn't appear any more.

    Genius! Thanks a lot!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-10T07:39:21+00:00

    First I would like to say Thank You to HansV MVP.

    Second even I do this, it will gone for a while, then coming back again. I don't know what trigger it, is it Office 365 update or something else. But definitely it will always popup again. I've done the turn off solution using VB 3 times already.

    The question now goes back to Microsoft on how to turn it off permanently? the feeling is like I don't like candy but you force me to eat it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T10:11:22+00:00

    This is helpful, but I have to do this every time I open Excel. Is there a way to permanently choose to have this off?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments