Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T10:47:36+00:00

    Co-authoring in excel is possible with google drive?

    Thx Jiri

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T10:29:18+00:00

    To be honest, I doubt Microsoft has any real intentions of fixing this issue.

    I started experiencing this issue a full year ago, in early March 2024.

    I logged a support call back then, which was promptly resolved as a known issue.

    I have had absolutely zero feedback or any reassurance from them, indicating that they are still working on resolving the problem.

    I have waited patiently until about a month ago, when I reluctantly moved over to Google Drive.

    The best decision I have ever made !!!

    Google Drive by far outperforms the simplistic pathetic excuse of a cloud solution of OneDrive.

    I strongly suggest and highly recommend you all do the same. !!!

    Good Bye Microsoft OneDrive !!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T10:28:37+00:00

    Same problem since yesterday Monday 03/03/2025.

    I've wasted hours with sync issues and now I find that I can't access the folder I usually use. A folder is shared to a set of users who are using the data and cannot be accessed except online.

    Hoping it "fixes itself." In the meantime, I've circumvented the problem by using RaiDrive which lets me map all shared folders to one drive and access them from the system browser.

    If the problem continues, we migrate to another system, this is a shame.

    Although I can use files and storage, not natively using OneDrive services stops automatic backups and version history of Office files. If I can't count on those advantages and only use storage, I have other more interesting options with other providers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T10:21:00+00:00

    Well done for trying, and for getting through

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments