Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T20:05:12+00:00

    I started to have problems March 2, 2025.

    Looks like it has been a problem for months.

    Come on, MS. Solve it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T19:58:32+00:00

    Hello!

    I have the same problem, the files that were available until now only work as web links. I tried everything, reinstalling OneDrive, re-sharing, but nothing helps.

    OneDrive version: 25.020.0202.0001 (64bit)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T19:28:30+00:00

    An update... the workaround of creating a network location in windows explorer worked great... for about half a day, and then it stopped working. But then, last night, MOST of my shared files were now magically available again in the folder view of the OneDrive app. I did open a formal problem ticket with OneDrive support last week (which you all should do if you have not), but I can't be sure that this was the specific reason that my problem was resolved. Best of luck to everyone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T19:15:14+00:00

    I'm having the same issue as everyone else. When I follow your instructions, my shared folders are intact (sharing is working) but the folder is no longer available in my Finder window on my desktop (it's just a URL to online).

    When I follow #3: Check your sync settings: Ensure that the shared folder is set to sync with your device. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the system tray, select Settings, and check the Account tab to confirm that the shared folder is included in your sync settings. - my account tab does not show the shared folder (now a URL), so I cannot confirm that it is included in my sync settings.

    PLEASE ADVISE.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments