Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T17:45:59+00:00

    Great to hear this is working for some Windows user at least. We have Macs and this is still not working. I will keep using Mountain Duck until Microsoft fixes the issue (if they ever do)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T17:25:07+00:00

    I am experiencing this problem on my Mac since yesterday, is there any solution already for this problem?

    Thanks Ulrike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T17:12:13+00:00

    I also had the issue, small setup. Having the O365 Family subscription, shared folder with my wife, approx 3.5GB

    Out of sudden the folder became a internet link on her machine and only accessible in Onedrive Web.

    Based on some earlier comments here I stopped sharing, waited for the receiving machine to update.

    Then re-shared/re-invited my wife. Sometimes the folder didn't even show up in the "shared with me" section on the web.

    All very messy.

    So I stopped sharing again, moved everything out of Onedrive and waited for all clients to sync.

    Then I created a new folder with just one file in it, re-shared it and it was working again.

    So I moved the files + folders back into this folder and it synced.

    But then a new problem occurred: the next morning, the receiving client was showing a red exclamation mark on every shared (sub)folder and the onedrive client indicated an error, that the folder wasn't shared anymore and I should remove the reference. Clicking the link there removed all synced files, any new added files on the receiving client remained on the machine in the folder structure.

    I went through this 2-3 times, but now for almost a week, everything is working. New files on either side a synced and updated.

    Nonetheless, I started hosting my own Nextcloud to be prepared when things break again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T16:50:37+00:00

    This sounds like a workable solution - would someone know how to do this on a mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments