Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T02:07:59+00:00

    The problem computer is running OneDrive version: Build 25.025.0209.0001 (64-bit). This computer is on Win 11 pro 23h2.

    Others are running OneDrive version: Build 25.020.0202.0001 (64-bit) on Win 11 24H2.

    Not sure why one has a different version. All have been fully updates using windows update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T00:46:13+00:00

    OneDrive is connected to your office account. Uninstalling And reinstalling One Drive makes the problem worse are in the Microsoft Office updates you can get to from any of the office account pages and hit the button that says check for updates all updates need to be installed and all Windows updates need to be installed which means clicking the five check boxes that get you the current updates do keep in mind you cannot share a folder between personal 365 office and business 365 office it is no longer possible to do that all computers need to be on the same version of Office 365 with the same update version and whichever Windows you're on needs to be fully patched and clean the net stuff once this is done you can remove the permissions off the shared file then take it out of the one drive completely create a new folder with read write permissions From the online OneDrive The other computer when they see it The shared folder Only click it one time to download And then reboot the computer and it will show up And windows that Spore At this point you can move the contents of the folder Back into the new folder You can never move The roof holder back into OneDrive or it will stop working again And you don't have to repeat this procedure You do it right it works every time if you shortcut it it will not work I fixed thousands of these And being able to fix every one of them following these procedures With no issues I do recommend going to bleeping computers Downloading adware cleaner and scanning the computer first Both of them Because there is malware that can cause this issue also Is not of ours None of the antiviruses will pick it up Only malwarebytes are Hitman Pro alert will detect it and prevent it from getting on the computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T00:35:43+00:00

    I have this issue too. This totally prevents using the File Explorer with OneDrive folders shared by others - really annoying. The Microsoft support site was unavailable for my first 20 minutes of trying to submit an issue - I am sure along with thousands (millions?) of others. I was a happy camper with OneDrive, but now I am very disappointed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-02T00:22:12+00:00

    What steps did you take for this to change? I've uninstalled and reinstalled my onedrive. I've opened that personal vault. I really need this for work. It's taking all my time. I need the shared folder in my File Explorer access. Any tips is much appreciated. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments