Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T19:19:11+00:00

    I observed similar issue (folders changed to url links) on one computer 2 weeks ago. Now it is changed also on 2nd computer. It looks that it grows like cancer and M$ haven't any solution/sugestion (only unlink/reinstall which ussualy not help).

    So time to say goodbye and change to google drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T15:38:27+00:00

    I don't believe the issue is related to the Onedrive software version.

    It's a backend account configuration by Microsoft.

    All my computers are running the same Onedrive version, but some accounts work with sharing, others just give you the Internet Shortcut.

    A number of them this week changed from sharing correctly to the broken internet shortcuts.

    Nothing changed with the Onedrive version, so this purely a Microsoft account setup/configuration backend issue which needs to be resolved by Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T14:57:24+00:00

    I said that we did that after my onedrive migrated in the new version. Reinstall one drive, admin will cut the links and share again. We have 365 family 5 users. It works only in the same versions.

    How does your Onedrive migrate?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T14:56:36+00:00

    Hi,

    Yesterday, I tried to access my OneDrive desktop app, and suddenly the shared folders became links to the web version of OneDrive instead of being available locally. I have been working this way for the past three years, and without any change on my part, they turned into links.

    I have tried to remove the app and disconnect it a few times, but nothing helps. I couldn't find any guide or solution to my issue. This situation is preventing me from working efficiently.

    Could you please assist me in resolving this issue?

    Thank you,
    Nadav.

    Hi. Were you able to fix this issue?
    i have a few days left in my subscription and I do not want to renew if this issue persists. I was wondering if you could find any fix for it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments