Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T19:01:33+00:00

    I found last night when I went to the folder I share for my business files to find that the 1TB had vanished from file explorer, I had no idea what had happened but it was just empty, I unlinked one drive and re-linked it.....it took most of the day to validate my files on my one drive account as it kept freezing throughout the process and then found that the business folder was only showing as a link, I have 1TB of files to sync with the work folder in order to stay up to date and be productive, it was only when I found this thread that I learned the true extent of the problem....this service is utterly useless for work now and I cannot believe that people have been suffering this issue for more than a year without a resolution, we will have to find an alternative if it is not possible to fix this.

    I was only just extolling the virtues of one drive in comparison to other cloud services just the other day however now I honestly cannot recommend it in this state as it functionally does not do what it should do.

    Please can someone update on if this is fixable or is being fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T19:01:18+00:00

    Yep same thing has happend to me. I dont think there is an easy way to resolve it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T18:57:49+00:00

    When will this issue be resolved please. It is February 2025. This appears to have been a known issue since the middle of last year, although it has just happened to me today

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T18:49:23+00:00

    This happened to me today. Trash

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments