Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T15:42:40+00:00

    Hi Adam -- I've tried the same fix. It worked with one account but not three others. Very strange inconsistency.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T15:33:39+00:00

    Hello All!

    As microsoft seems incompetent regarding this problem, I solved it for myself:

    -I have a folder in account 'A', shared it with account 'B'. The folder bacame a link on my PC in acc. 'B', only possible to open it in a browser. However it works as it should on my iPhone.

    -I removed the sharing of the folder in acc. 'A'. But while I checked acc. 'B' on web, i noticed it was still visible in "Shared with me" menu. Can't remove/delete the obsolate/residural entry from there because the lack of delete option; BUT it was possible in the mobile app (IOS in my case)! So I removed it on my phone.

    -Synced everything maually, waited a few minutes.

    -Shared the folder again in acc. 'A', received the invitation in acc. 'B'.

    -Re-added the shared folder with "Add shortcut to my files".

    -Sync again, shared folder visible as folder (not an lnk) on PC & mobile. Done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T15:15:05+00:00

    I have used this workaround. The problem eventually comes back. MICROSOFT can we get a response, can we get a onedrive update to repair this bug???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T15:10:18+00:00

    Is this issue still unresolved?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments