Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T13:03:29+00:00

    Is this issue still not resolved.

    Its creating trouble for me since I am unable to save files on my pc on the folder which also shared with other users.

    Its really annoying to see something like this happening for long time without any solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T12:41:20+00:00

    It's unbelievable that what first happened to me just last night has been going on for some users since June 2024.

    Microsoft has increased my bill by over 30% and removed gigabytes of important shared files from my hard drive all in the same month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T12:12:34+00:00

    First, log in to onedrive.live.com via a web browser. In the root directory of the folder shared with you, select any Office document, click the three dots - Open - Open in app.

    In the opened Office application, click File - Home. You can see the shared file you just opened under Recent. Right-click it and choose "Copy path to clipboard."

    Open Windows Explorer, find "This PC" on the left, right-click and select "Add a network location." In the "Add Network Location Wizard," click Next, then click "Choose a custom network location."

    Paste the copied file path into the input box, and delete the file name portion (for example, if the path you copied is https://d.docs.live.net/xxx/xxx/ABC.xlsx, you should delete ABC.xlsx and keep the preceding part).

    Then, enter your OneDrive account username and password in the pop-up window, set a name for your folder, and click Next to complete the creation.

    At this point, you can directly access your shared folder in "This PC" in File Explorer. There may be some delay, but this can serve as a temporary workaround while waiting for the issue to be fixed.

    Thanks - this workaround is working for us after a bit of trial and error.

    When adding multiple new network locations I found I had to close File Explorer after creating each connection. If I didn't close File Explorer it would say the file path is invalid.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-27T12:07:45+00:00

    Started experiencing the same thing yesterday: the 600+GB shared family photo folder became "Pictures and Videos (3seb-PC)" and a "Pictures and Videos" link appeared alongside. That puts me at 1.3TB of 1TB - I guess that is how you sell new subscriptions? It also started uploading those 600+GB, which is pointless.
    Also renaming one folder in another share with friends just duplicated it (the old folder remained and I started uploading the renamed folder with its 17GB of files).

    It's just a mess right now.

    (edit: I can also confirm both accounts are on "_2025-02-14.014", so the JS version being different is out.)

    I'm having the same problem.

    "Folder name-DESKTOP-00", "Folder name-00 on MacBook"

    Funny thing is, on Windows PC, I only have the recently updated folder,

    On my MacBook, multiple folders were created and synchronized at will.

    (But even that was not perfect, some folders were just created)

    Besides the shared folders being changed to link files, I'm having another problem.

    I don't understand why onedrive, which I've been using so well, has this fatal error.

    Judging by the number of people discussing this issue now, it seems like there has been a sudden explosion of users having problems since Feb 26th.

    Why didn't they fix this issue for 8 months, and instead let it spread further?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments