Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T15:56:34+00:00

    I have had this problem from the start in June 2024 but found a workaround. Yesterday the workaround failed. Microsoft are working on the problem but making it worse!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T15:53:34+00:00

    I have about 20 PCs using OneDrive. Starting end of May 2024, most of them switched to links in place of shared folders.

    Microsoft is not going to fix this, and I wouldn't recommend Onedrive as a service to any business.

    Since we pay for Microsoft 365, and use their office programs, we aren't going to use another cloud drive service (unfortunately).

    I have installed RaiDrive on every PC as a workaround, basically it connects and syncs the shared folders to your PC. This has been a good solution for us until Microsoft decides to do their job.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T15:50:48+00:00

    how is this still a problem 8 months later?

    whats going on microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T15:42:08+00:00

    I think he meant 25.020.0202.0001 which I agree is an insider preview but for some reason I got it on one of my machines eventhough I have the insider tab turned off.

    I started suffering from the issue 4 days ago and it happened out of the blue. Thought I had done something dumb and deleted one of my family members entire shared folder directory as all their files were in my recycle bin!! Did all the normal things an experienced techy would do to try and fix incl. reinstalling, setting up a new share, checking permissions, etc, and still have the URL link now instead of a local folder. So frustrating and glad I came across this thread.

    On an aside I am now convinced this is a server side issue (as mentioned by others) and it is linked to what the server hosting state is of an individuals OneDrive account. No clue whether they are mnigrating accounts or just breaking certain ones. It doesn't seem to be linked to the client version of the app you are running but I'm not 100% sure.

    2 of my 5 accounts that have shared folders happily work together as before and they DO NOT have the Search option under OneDrive Options on the OneDrive website. The other 3 accounts do have the Search option listed (see picture below) and they also have shared folders happily working together in the old way. However any existing shares used between the two sets of users got converted to URL links and all copies of files were then deleted from people the files were shared with.

    On a different note I also noticed the blue button on the onedrive website has 3 different incarnations but I can confirm that it is unrelated to identifying if you have a problem account and the only way of telling is the Search item in the Options menu mentioned above.

    However here is a list of blue button version I have across by 5 accounts which is bizarre to say the least.

    "+ Create or upload" on 3 of my accounts

    "+ New & Upload" on 1 of my accounts

    "+ Add New" on 1 of my accounts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments