Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T14:05:19+00:00

    Hi, can you give us an update when this will be fixed? I have now started to use Google Drive instead until it is fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T13:57:40+00:00

    I noticed this happening to my account yesterday. I've been trying to find information, but it's been harder than I thought it would be, and I'm getting frustrated that there doesn't seem to be much mention of this issue anywhere other than this thread.

    I have a family 365 subscription and have been paying for onedrive for a couple years now and have never had this problem before.

    This issue has rendered my onedrive useless, and I'm desperate to find a solution. Where are all the MS admins who said they would fix it right away?

    I was happily using onedrive on Windows just 2 days ago, but when I tried to open a file on my MacBook, I was faced with a strange situation where I could only see the folder, and when I logged out of my account and logged back in to fix it, the shared folder was suddenly changed to a URL Link file.

    I was hoping to find a way to fix it here, but I'm disappointed that I haven't found a solution in the 8 months since it was discovered in June last year.

    I still have a subscription left and if this issue is not resolved in the meantime, I think it would be wise to look elsewhere for cloud services.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T13:52:58+00:00

    Same issue here. Old folder now goes to browser. ****?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T13:30:40+00:00

    Do you have this issue with the Business edition ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments