Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T02:36:22+00:00

    Not only is it interpreting the folder as a Shortcut, but in my case the Shortcut doesn't even link to anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T02:27:02+00:00

    Hi all,

    I just had this problem yesterday and it still exists. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Onedrive but nothing changed.

    Has this problem been fixed? How do I fix this? I am currently using windows 10, could that be the problem?

    Best regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T00:54:11+00:00

    @levi1922 I can't say whether this is the cause of the problem, but I can confirm that of my 4 accounts, only ONE has the problem and it is exactly the one with the "new" layout.

    I think you are right to suspect this...

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T00:33:06+00:00

    Hi HannaZ, thank you for your reply. It is much appreciated. But just to clarify, this issue has been on-going since last year. Our group first experienced it July 2025, and for some in the comments, way back April 2025. This is so frustrating. Our programs won't work and there's no solution to this, but to create a new MS Account for the affected user and share the folders/files to that new account. However, this will only work for so long - If that user is lucky, it will work for several weeks, only days for some, before onedrive turns the shared folders to web links again. We really hope MS would put time and effort in resolving this issue, instead on forcing us to adapt to never-ending new useless features that only breaks onedrive's core functionality.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments