Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T16:30:18+00:00

    Hi everyone,

    Today I wanted to add someone to my subscription, and I realized that some accounts are in a family group, while others (the ones with links instead of folders) are on the subscription but not part of the family group.

    I just added one of the bugged accounts to the family group, deleted the old link, and shared the folder with the whole family group.

    It seems like it’s taking a while for the link to be received, and the folder still doesn’t appear in the **“Shared with me”**section. I’ll check again tomorrow and give an update here.

    In the meantime, it would be helpful if someone else could check whether the bugged accounts are in the family group or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T15:35:33+00:00

    I have tested both access via files on my iPhone and via the OneDrive app on the iPhone and iPad and they are ok for me. I am about to dig out my old MacBook and switch off all updates and test that to see if it has been an update issue, but it will take me a day or so.

    I also have been backing up one account where I have the most important documents (this is my wife account via a shared folder, using O365 family) and can not copy files from that OneDrive to my own like I used to in the web version of OneDrive. I am having to manually download to my laptop and then copy them to my own OneDrive account. Once I have copies made (and onto an external HDD) I am going to start messing with unlinking devices etc. I just want my data secure before I do that😃

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T15:25:38+00:00

    After months of having this problem, I can give you some pointers.

    It seems that there are two versions of OneDrive Personal. The folders on the PC only work well between accounts with the same version.

    Without warning, some accounts change versions, so from one day to the next they can no longer use that folder and it becomes a simple link.

    On the OneDrive website, in options you can identify which version of OneDrive that account has. There are many differences, but I am attaching a screenshot to quickly identify if you are on the new or old version.

    Microsoft would have to migrate everyone to the same version, and it would have to be a process of a few days, but it has been having this problem for 9 months now.

    We want a solution now!!

    Image

    This is indeed the problem. There are two versions of personal OneDrive. An old one and a new one. Shared folders between old accounts still work as usual. Shared folders between new accounts also work. However, a shared folder from an old account to a new account (and vice versa) does not work. Below are two images to help distinguish between old and new accounts. (Create and Upload = new, New and Upload = Old)

    Last weekend, an old account was upgraded to a new account. Since then, shared folders to old accounts no longer work, but they do work with accounts of the new type. So it really is a server/version issue.

    ImageImage

    these seem to be conflicting. I have the search button under options, suggesting i have the old version per the first poster, but I also have "Create and Upload" which suggests the new version?

    On another account, I have "Add New" (suggesting old) and no search button under the options (suggesting new). It seems one of you may have mixed up new and old.

    Both are primarily used on different machines, but in both cases the OneDrive app is 25.020.0202.0001 and Windows 11 Pro 24H2 build 26120.3291, so that apparently has no bearing.

    Either way, this issue is very annoying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T14:36:04+00:00

    This happened with my account today for no reason whatsoever.

    As mentioned before a workaround is to create a new Microsoft account and share the folders with the new account.
    Done exactly that - but it initially did not work!

    The first time I shared a folder via email with my new account. Same error - the folder appeared as web-link in the windows explorer.

    The second time I then shared the same folder via link/url - and voila, the folder appeared as a proper folder in the explorer!

    Maybe a valid workaround could be to change your shared folder to link/url sharing without the need to create a new account...

    So for now I am working with the new account and link/url shares with the most important projects.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments