Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T13:24:53+00:00

    So if your an MS support member Sophia what are the masses suppose to do here with this janky software your company is churning out? Its worthless and absolutely inoperable on the apple operating systems. As mentioned in several earlier posts that not one of your MS support members replied to or even commented on we as a company have moved on from MS products and look to continue to do so with everything we do. Its not worth the counter productive time you company enables. Its just awful and with 0 support.

    Thanks... wish i could say it was a good run but it was anything but positive when using any MS products on anything Mac.

    To anyone else exp same issues... forget it. You wont find the help you need from MS. Move on. We're using Google drive now for our file sharing and its waaaay more user friendly, efficient and reliable above all else. Best of luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T13:22:46+00:00

    'Magically' my local folders are back. Computer is synchronizing thousands of files and folders but no longer appearing as internet shortcuts

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T13:19:41+00:00

    This is what worked for me. I'm posting here in case it's helpful for anyone else.

    My issue:

    • It seems that folders that were shared after a certain date (months ago) showed up as internet shortcuts locally on OneDrive
    • Older folders still showed locally and worked fine up until last week
    • Last week sometime, all local folders shared were gone, some internet shortcuts disappeared locally, one shortcut was duplicated with -computername appended

    What worked for me:

    • In the past, to get a shared folder to appear locally:
      • I first had to go to OneDrive Online
      • Under Shared>Shared With You I had to invoke the action "Add shortcut to My Files" for the desired folder
      • This would add the Shared Folder to the My Files section online and make it available as a folder locally
      • On the local folder I could choose whether to "Always keep on this device" to download all files or to keep them in the cloud and download on demand
    • After the local folders disappeared last week, the following worked for me:
      • On OnDrive Online I deleted all of the shortcuts from My Files (this does not delete the shared folders themselves)
      • Locally, the duplicated internet shortcut did not disappear automatically so I deleted it manually
      • At this point I had not shared folders showing under My Files online or locally
      • Online, I went to Shared>Shared With You and invoked the action "Add shortcut to My Files" for all of the folders shared with me
      • They all now appear correctly under My Files online and locally as linked folders (NOT internet shortcuts) and synced properly. Note that it took a couple of minutes for the local folders to show

    My setup:

    • Windows 11 Pro (fully updated)
    • Microsoft 365 Family
    • OneDrive version is 25.015.0126.0002 (64-bit). This seems like a higher version than what shows on the support page. I have no idea how I got this version - I haven't done any special installs, just the normal Windows and M365 updates.

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T12:58:15+00:00

    What I'd like to know is why the unsubscribe option does not work.

    Have I got to create a rule to forward further replies to the bin?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments