Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T06:21:14+00:00

    I'm not sure it's a bug anymore but a change because it's happened to me this morning and when I went in to onedrive online then clicked on shared and tried to re-add the folder to my files, it only gives you the option to add a shortcut which was never even an option before, it used to say add folder to your files. Checked on google and it claims onedrive is moving over to shortcuts to save space!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T06:08:28+00:00

    I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. From last week on these shared folders are replaced with internet shortcuts. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, nothing changed. same behavior on Windows and two MAC PC with different OneDrive Versions installed. Please help me resolve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T05:15:49+00:00

    This just happened with our entire team. All shared folders turned to internet shortcuts further hampering work!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T04:26:53+00:00

    I got the same problem this morning. Found a reddit thread about this issue where one person found a workaround by sharing folder locally, and it worked, kinda...

    So, I have a family subscription and used one of the accounts as a shared folder for easy sharing files among the family, so no one has to use their personal limit. Yesterday on all laptops this shared folder turned to links and no matter I try, nothing helped, reinstalling one drive, disconnecting from account, renaming folder, changing access rights thought web interface - same result.

    But, when I shared one of your folders from windows explorer - it worked, tried my wife's laptop - worked as well. I did limit the access to a certain users, not sure that's essential, but, I guess worth mentioning. So, as it worker on our both personal accounts linked to laptops, I tried logging off one one Drive and logging with a shared account, hoping to restore my original architecture, but for some reason it didn't work. I was fine with what I got, so did try to push any further. I wonder if it's somehow related to having being logged in on windows with the same account as one drive, or having synchronization completely finished before sharing a link, but maybe someone from support will explore those.

    Windows 11, latest updates, region US

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments