All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T07:34:48+00:00

    I have found a work around that seems to be working. I now turn off the synch while working on excel spreadsheets and saving them manually. When I switch the synch back on it then works normally and updates to the cloud.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T07:39:20+00:00

    we found last night that the changes we were making were not even updating on a document and we have come to the conclusion everything is useless now as we don't trust the system any more.

    I'm getting a local IT guy to look at our machine and his advice is ditch microsoft 365 and go back to a desktop version and turn off onedrive on the computer. Apparently you can get desktop versions for around £20 now. Then rely on traditional back up methods to an external drive.

    Technology seems to creating more issues that what it helps with now!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T23:39:18+00:00

    Hi,

    I am having the same issue as Sarah.

    I followed the steps above and the same error is occuring as before, no change has occured.

    One thing I might add, is that when I go to save that workbook where the error is occuring, if I use "Save As" it says that the workbook is called "d.docs.live.net" when I have never named it this, and it has the same name it always has (in this case Budget2024) where I have it saved in my file library. I don't know if this is the name that it thinks it has and so is why it thinks the file name has changed, even when I open the file for the first time (and of course am not editing anything while it is opening).

    I also am having some issues with d.docs.live.net and I believe OneDrive is causing all of these same issues.

    Every time I insert a new pivot table to a excel sheet, a pop up comes up for me to put in my credentials to log into d.docs.live.net. I put in my username and password, and then the same dialogue box comes up again, and again, and again. This does not happen when I add a pivot table to the same excel workbook saved locally.

    Please help, I feel like I have looked at all the help forums there are (some dating back to 2019 with the same issues) and am finding no help.

    (Note, I tried to insert pictures of the error messages, but the files wouldnt upload.)

    Christina

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T15:40:19+00:00

    Thank you for clarifying, Sarah. Yes, you're correct; OneDrive is a cloud storage service. Upon reading the description you provided, it seems to be a sync issue. However, I wonder why your files were put in the trash inside your OneDrive. May I know if you accidentally deleted those files? Since you have already recovered them, I will provide troubleshooting steps to help fix the OneDrive synchronization issue. Kindly follow the steps below:

    "1. Press the Windows key and R to open the Run dialog box, enter wsreset.exe, then select OK.

    1. A blank Command Prompt window will open, and after about ten seconds the window will close. You can close the Microsoft Store window.
    2. If OneDrive is still not syncing, press the Windows key and R again.
    3. Copy this and paste it into the dialog window, then press OK. %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

    If you see a "Windows cannot find..." message, copy and paste this instead, then press OK. C:\Program Files\Microsoft OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

    If you see a "Windows cannot find..." message, copy and paste this instead, then press OK. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

    1. Manually restart OneDrive by going to Start, type OneDrive in the search box, and then click on the OneDrive desktop app. Then sign in your account again."

    I pulled the above steps from Official Microsoft Support website. For reference, here's the link below:

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/34701e00-bf7b-42db-b960-84905399050c

    Once done, check if it resolves the issue. You can upload back the file to your OneDrive in case you wanted to store it in a cloud storage. I hope this will help. We the community users are always here to help. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T02:44:23+00:00

    Hi Sarah,

    Thank you for reaching out. My name is Leo, a user just like you. I'd be happy to help you with your concern.

    May I know what changes were made that might be causing the issue? May I also know if it is affecting all of your Excel documents or only the specific file? How about when creating a new document, does it have the same issue? Have you also tried saving to a different destination? For this, as part of the troubleshooting steps, I recommend repairing your Office. Follow the steps below:

    "1. Access this link to download the Office repair tool. Link: https://aka.ms/SaRA-officeUninstallFromPC 2. Download and install it, then open to run.

    Tip: The tool may take a few minutes to download and install. After completing the installation, the Uninstall Office products window will open.

    1. Select the version you want to uninstall, and then select Next.
    2. Follow through the remaining screens and when prompted, restart your computer.

    After you restart your computer, the uninstall tool automatically re-opens to complete the final step of the uninstall process. Follow the remaining prompts.

    1. Select the steps for the version of Office you want to install or reinstall. Close the uninstall tool."

    After you completed the steps to repair, you will need to restart your computer and try to access your Microsoft Excel again. In case the issue still persists, please don't hesitate to let us know. We the community users are always here to help. Thank you!

    I pulled the above steps from Official Microsoft Support website. For reference, here's the link below:

    https://support.microsoft.com/office/7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

    Your understanding and patience will be highly appreciated. I hope I provided a helpful information regarding your concern! Let me know if you have any further questions. Be safe always!

    Best Regards,

    Leo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments