All MSFT Excel files are opening with this prompt - "this file has been renamed we recommend saving it now to get the new name" Nothing has been changed - how do I stop this from happening?

Anonymous
2024-03-20T01:55:54+00:00

"This file has been renamed. We recommend saving it now to get the new name." I X out of this message. Then I get an i in a blue circle and this message "We need you to save the file to finish renaming it. Add-ins and VBA might not work until you save. Save in a white box." I save and then exit. I then reopen the same file an X in a red circle and the message "UPLOAD BLOCKED We ran into a problem with this file and can't save any new changes. Please save a copy to avoid losing your work" with 2 options "Save a Copy" or "Discard Changes". I saved a copy with a different name and then reopen it and it's the same issue.

My version is up to date and it's called Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-06T13:44:34+00:00

    yes, it only worked until the next edit/save cycle :(. Still not clear to me if this is a bug or a one drive setting. If it is a bug, then why aren't millions of people having this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-06-05T06:54:00+00:00

    Silence from Microsoft is deafening.

    Something changed recently and it is tied up with OneDrive and the "d.docs.live.net".

    Does MS even look at the comments.

    I have just lost my most valuable spreadsheet which was supposed to be safe on OneDrive. Quite a number of financial records.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-26T12:55:21+00:00

    Hi Agree

    MS must fix this issue it is so ridiculous one does not know if the updates input have been saved. Does MS respond - NO NEVER. Who makes these changes and does not check them? MS seems to assume that everyone has access to your files. I disagree I do not want anyone else accessing files. So what is MS doing about this issue - NOTHING and they are not even being transparent enough to say that they recognise the problem and are working on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-26T11:57:15+00:00

    This exact same issue started for me during the afternoon of April 14, 2024. I was opening/editing/saving an Excel workbook file several times that day, and suddenly I'm getting these messages and losing that file. It's my "Bible", so I am not happy!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T01:48:48+00:00

    Exactly the same issue here and it's driving me insane. Started from what I can ascertain around 4 weeks ago and makes it impossible to manage any living document because how would I ever find it again if I allow the stupid rename?

    For example, the main excel sheet I use is a membership list that is a live document, updated regularly so renaming it every time I do anything in it just isn't practical

    For the record, I don't even use ONEDRIVE and don't know how to. It's just something that was on my latest laptop.

    Absolutely NOTHING has changed on my system except perhaps anything that happened in one of the updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments