Faulty 'Recent' document list in OneDrive, File Explorer and Microsoft 365

Anonymous
2023-12-04T11:38:15+00:00

I understand there is a bug that engineers are working on and that this 'bug' is a big worry for many of us, ie. I'm seeing a 'Recent' list (shows in my File Explorer and on OneDrive) which includes documents that I did not open recently, and gives wrong dates of when opened. My Microsoft 365 Word files are synced to OneDrive. I use Windows 11.

I came across an additional worry concerning this today. I opened my Microsoft 365 Word and found the faulty 'Recent' list there, too. I clicked on the latest item on the list (which I had, in fact, opened yesterday via Explorer), and I got a message warning me that the file was a potential security risk. This is the main file of a novel I am working on and am doing editing each day. I find I can still open the document via File Explorer with no such warning and the document did seem ok when I opened it this way, but is it safe to do so? I have a deadline to finish my editing and need assurance there is no security problem and that this 'Recent' list problem will soon be rectified.

I have only noticed the wrong 'Recent' list in the past week or two, but there are other threads about this, one I have seen goes back to October with people telling of this same issue. In a later thread (in November) we were told it's a known bug that is currently being investigated. Please can I have an update on when it is likely to be fixed. Meanwhile, are our files safe to continue accessing and working on?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-07T18:06:27+00:00

    One year later--no fix. You guys are right on top of this issue. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T20:18:07+00:00

    I'm having the same issue as reported. If I open a local Word/Excel file and save and close it, it doesn't show up in my recent files. If I open the same file and save it to OneDrive and close. It will then show up in my recent files. This is VERY FRUSTRATING and I've spent all day trying to correct it.

    Please for the love of all goodness fix this issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T19:21:23+00:00

    I Also have the same issue and my recent list will not show any of my files saved on my desktop no mater what I change. This problem just started today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-21T13:15:01+00:00

    Same issue here - Just started today (3/21/2024) and is very frustrating given impact to usability and productivity.

    What is the status of the investigation and estimated timeframe for a solution?

    Please advise - thanks...

    Pete

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T21:05:16+00:00

    I am aware, that is not helpful inside of Office Apps where files are pinned. Recent files and pinned files stopped working last week. It is clearly a change that Microsoft made in an update. I am a 40+ year developer and am well versed in these apps. Something changed to disable these two functions in the Office apps.

    Rob Alexander

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments