Office365 Abruptly Updated and New "Update License" Option Appears- Unsure What to Do

Anonymous
2024-02-02T06:59:02+00:00

when I logged on today, Office abruptly decided to automatically update itself which never happens; now when I open Word, there's a subtle new option called "Update License"

I can still open, edit, save, and create documents to my heart's content but this new option just exists now. I also manually updated Office on my laptop once I saw this "Update License" didn't exist there, and after it updated, this option appeared

is this just something that's happened? is it security-related or an annual thing or whatever else?

anyway I'm not sure what exactly I'm meant to do. I have my own Microsoft account and I use Office365 under my Microsoft account but I think it's under my mother's account/subscription, as like a Family

I'm nervous to try and "update the license" using my credentials in case it signs me into a fresh new account or logs me out, or something similar.

I'm not sure if I need to use my Microsoft account credentials with this "Update License" option, even if my account and Office subscription is managed under my parent's account

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-12T19:17:43+00:00

    Same on this end. My subscription literally renewed in December and my license is 100% valid but I also have the update license option, and was/am thoroughly confused so I'm just deciding it's a bug. An annoying one considering I just paid the year, but a bug nonetheless.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-09T14:39:51+00:00

    Thanks for the update Great Machine! I just looked at the Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps (listed by date) and you're definitely on the latest. For the Mac environment, the Update history for Office for Mac (listed by date) shows I'm on the latest version for the "Office Suite" (Word, Excel, PowerPoint): 16.81 (24011420) and the latest version for the Outlook application:: 16.81..2 (24012814).

    The "Update License" link in the "About (app name)" menu drop-down remains active and clicking on it still reflects the behavior staring with the "Activate Office" window,, where I enter my email, then the second window, where I select "personal account" (since I don't have a work or school account), and then the presentation of the pop-up message "Couldn't update license ... Error code: 44". As has been the case since the beginning, I'm able to use all of the apps in Office Home & Business 2021.

    As I mentioned on a related post here yesterday, I'm wondering if the constant reminder to "Update license" is intended to catch unauthorized subscribers (e.g., bootlegged/pirated software, expired subscriptions, etc.) and prevent further use of the Office software by the same."

    Edit: Sorry Samalama -- your post arrived while I was in the process of replying to Great Machine's post. Thanks for documenting your experience! It somewhat akin to being on a merry-go-round that you can't get off of!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-09T14:39:20+00:00

    Long thread. Same issue for me.

    • Opened M365 (any app)
    • Click on account
    • Update Options > Update Now
    • Installed latest update
    • Restart (both app and laptop)
    • Open e.g. MS Word: "Can't Verify Licence" message
    • > Resolve button does nothing
    • > Update Licence> Sign In> Success! You may need to restart...
    • Restart > Same message about can't Verify License...

    Not happy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-09T12:03:50+00:00

    Not fixed in the just released build 17231.20218 C2R

    Clicking on 'Update License' does the same thing as before. Enter email... it says you are activated and restart the app. Message persists after reopening app.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-07T16:28:49+00:00

    We are seeing this in 17231.20194 C2R too. This did not occur until this update. At times, people are having to re-login to update their license to get Outlook to connect and etc. After logging in, Outlook works again, but the "Update License" messages persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments