"Looks like this invitation link is not working"

Anonymous
2023-11-08T06:12:00+00:00

I sent my friends an invitation to share my Office 365 account (5 users). When they opened an email and clicked link it's showed "Looks like this invitation link is not working, You'll need contact the person who invited you and ask them to shar the subscription with you". But some can join invitation link. What's happening with some e-mail?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For education | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-24T17:43:06+00:00

In response to the following error I have figured out the solution:

"Looks like this invitation link is not working

You’ll need to contact the person who invited you and ask them to share the subscription with you"

Microsoft does not know the answer and neither does their Bing AI since this is an unresolved bug.

The problem will occur if the person you are attempting to share the subscription with is already a member of your family safety group.

While logged in to the account that is attempting to send the share go to https://account.microsoft.com/family/home

You will likely see the person in your list of family twice. One of them will be pending invitation.

Remove the person from your family group (not the one pending invitation). Once they are kicked out go ahead and accept the invitation for them using their account.

This should now work and they will be back in your family group. You will likely have to change any family sharing settings in Windows after all this and you may need to sign out of MS desktop apps and back in (for the added user).

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T12:51:48+00:00

    Yes, this was exactly the issue with myself and my husband. When he first invited me, I think he accidentally invited me to the family safety group, or something to that effect. The point is I was part of the family safety group, but not the MS office group.

    Then when he tried to send me the invite again, it kept giving that error. Only when I left the family safety group first, did it allow me to accept the MS Office invite. I stumbled on this solution kind of by accident and came on to see if anyone else had found the problem. Just want to confirm in case anyone comes on here with the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-23T19:22:20+00:00

    Thank you all for your time and patience. I haven't fixed the problem yet as I haven't had time to take my laptop to an IT person who can better follow your instructions.

    I have tried the invitation option several more times. Despite the same negative response, I was subsequently informed by Microsoft that I was entitled to add other people to my Family Pack in exchange for a subscription - at half price - even though I have been trying to be added to an existing Family Pack, not the other way around.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-23T19:04:31+00:00

    MS chat support folks didn't figure this out--EFJets solution in this thread worked for me!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-17T12:53:54+00:00

    Thank you this worked for me too!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments