losing formatting when copying from Excel Web

Anonymous
2023-07-04T01:37:03+00:00

I am on Windows 10 and have tried this on both Chrome and Edge.

I have certain shared Excel files that I access through Excel Web. Prior to today, I could copy/paste the data from Excel Web to Outlook Desktop and it would keep the source formatting (both text and table design).

Now, it is pasting as a table but without any text formatting or table design. I am losing all the formatting when I:

  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Edge to Outlook Desktop
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Outlook Web in Chrome
  • copy from Excel Web in Chrome to Excel Web in Edge (or the reverse)

The only instance when it retains the formatting is when I am copying from Excel Web to Excel Web in the same browser (either Chrome or Edge).

*Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office/Excel/Unknown/Windows*

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T15:04:13+00:00

    I am using CTRL+C and CTRL+V.

    Outlook Desktop version 2306 (Build 16529.20154), Microsoft 365 for enterprise.

    I updated Office/Windows and restarted my computer once the issue started, but it is still happening.

    To clarify: copy/paste works fine from Excel Desktop to Outlook/Word Desktop and from Excel Desktop to Outlook/Word Web. The issue seems to be with Excel Web to anything other than the same browser instance of Excel Web.

    Below is what it looks like when I copy/paste into Outlook Desktop - embedded in the upper right is what it looked like in Excel Web.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T14:38:35+00:00

    Good morning. Is this a global issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T21:43:13+00:00

    Unless I am misunderstanding, the office.com web apps associated with my personal outlook.com email address are separate from the Microsoft 365 Enterprise apps installed for work.

    I am not having an issue copying/pasting from Excel Desktop to other Desktop/Web apps - the issue is copying/pasting from Excel Web to almost everything else.

    I have tried this through my work account (Microsoft 365 Enterprise) and my personal outlook.com account (I have not purchased Microsoft 365).

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T15:05:40+00:00

    I also have the same issue (UK based) from today. Will this be fixed for the online version of Excel ? The desktop version copies the formatting correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-07-05T09:04:05+00:00

    I am having the same issue.

    My setting have not changed, and now when I copy from excel in Sharepoint into Outlook desktop version, all my formatting is lost.

    When I open the Sharepoint excel in desktop via editing, I am able to copy and paste without losing formatting.

    I tired to upload my screen shot but my files are failing to upload.

    CJ

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments