How can I fix a sharepoint excel file that opens in gibberish to normal text?

Anonymous
2023-01-17T12:59:35+00:00

We are using shared reports from a sharepoint having the convenience of accessing these reports via browser. But a few days ago, certain users are having problems with these reports, because when they access them, they see gibberish rather than normal text. This does not happen when its opened on the desktop app, only when its opened on the browser.

How can I fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-02T12:25:03+00:00

    Alright fixed this! Cluck on the upper left cell so the whole workbook is highlighted. Then change the font (from airal to calibri, as example) tab out of the cell. It fixed it for me. Whew!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-01-17T13:44:16+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    Greetings! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

    Have you tried change the text format to another one? It should be correct the display of it.

    Most of this issue could be caused by encoding, but in cells it show correct value. So it should be text format settings on your workbook.

    Best Regards,

    Snow Lu

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-02-03T17:43:26+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    Greetings! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

    Have you tried change the text format to another one? It should be correct the display of it.

    Most of this issue could be caused by encoding, but in cells it show correct value. So it should be text format settings on your workbook.

    Image

    Best Regards,

    Snow Lu

    Hi all,

    I had the same issue but ONLY with Arial font. All other fonts seemed to show the correct values in the cells. I closed the online version, opened the original in the Excel app, did select all and changed to another font (I chose Calibri 10 instead of Arial 8). After saving the original in the app, the online version opened fine. I know this is not a great workaround for everybody but it will work in a pinch.

    Thanks!

    Di

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-01-30T20:14:47+00:00

    I would like to add my name to the list of admins experiencing this issue with users.

    Selecting all text and changing the font does work but this is not a fix because the purpose of the web/outlook view is for it to be a quick glance. If you're going to go through all that then you may as well just open it in the full excel program which I have not seen this issue replicated in.

    Based on the timing could this have been caused by an update around the 18th as that's when I also received reports of this happening with my users as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-01-27T09:59:19+00:00

    Related team is working on it. Just wait or you can raise a support ticket.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments