In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

Anonymous
2023-03-02T15:18:14+00:00

In excel, when I click the help (?) icon, I get "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection is fine. How do I correct this error?

I am using Microsoft 365.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T17:58:00+00:00

    I had the same experience, but eventually the failure occurs again. I think it's the re-start that temporarily "fixes" the problem. Please post here if you find that is the case for you over the next few days to weeks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T16:44:37+00:00

    I did exactly the same, and help is now available again. For how long I don't know, but good so far. Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T03:34:27+00:00

    I was also enjoying the "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again." I had that particular pleasure about a year and a half ago and fixed it back then and tonight with the following instruction,

    I followed the instruction in the following, "To turn on the "New Experience" go to the megaphone icon in the title bar (on the right side) and click on it. This opens the Coming Soon pane. Scroll down in that until you find a switch to turn it on. Then restart Word.

    Note, if you turn on the display of text under the New Experience and switch that off, the text will go away."

    In my case both times, I was attempting to change the icons on the Quick Access Toolbar to Text, which following the advice in the above quote, and the "Sorry, something went wrong. Please check your network connection and try again" did a fantastic display of disappearing and the Text showed up instead of icons. Totally refreshing!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T21:22:25+00:00

    Thank you, Jim, for your calm and reasoned reply. I have suffered with this "feature" for months. It's as if no one has seen it before, and most of the recommendations I have followed have either not worked or worked only for a couple of weeks. This is the Help menu we are talking about. Where people go when they need help, it also screws up other 'features.' But there is no resolution that I have seen that gets to the root of the problem. I wish you luck.

    Curtiss

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-08-01T21:38:54+00:00

    Please let us know if this solution continues to work for you after a few days of use or if the problem reoccurs. When I have this issue simply opening and closing the app causes "Help" to work again but it is not a permanent fix.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments