"Unknown error trying to lock file." when opening file in Excel from SharePoint

Anonymous
2023-03-06T19:20:06+00:00

One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.

Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.

I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-30T03:11:11+00:00

After run update as picture the issue is resolved,

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-29T02:50:55+00:00

Hi All,

Updated, SP525140 was resolved, please check if you still have the issue on your side.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation! Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Sean | Microsoft Community Moderator

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-17T08:47:52+00:00

    My manager got the solution already, you guys need to sign out from Microsoft office first then try reopen file again from SharePoint then sign in again. If still got the same error, restart and reopen again the file

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-14T03:55:10+00:00

    I an having the same issue on multiple device with Office 2016. Even though the file on SharePoint created by original person the file can't edit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-10T14:18:56+00:00

    We have a few employees that are getting this same error suddenly, started a few days ago:

    • There is no information in our service health dashboard
    • The few employees are only getting this error with PowerPoint files stored in SharePoint/OneDrive
    • We all seem to have the same version of M365 Apps for enterprise (Version 2302 - Build 16130.20218)
    • Opening the file in the browser or opening the file through Windows File Explorer is a workaround to not get the error

    I haven't tried rolling back V2302 to V2301 but will try that next for 1 of the affected employees. I will likely open a support ticket if I don't find any other info online anywhere. Anyone from Microsoft, please respond if there is any other info about this or at least that MS is still looking into this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments