A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
After run update as picture the issue is resolved,
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
One of my users with Win 10 pro (upto date) is having trouble opening files (xlsx and xlsm) from SharePoint in Excel, they are getting the error "Unknown error trying to lock file." They are running Excel 2016, fully up to date. They were not having an issue Friday.
Tried the same files on SharePoint on other computers and did not get the same error. I tried via another user account on the computer that is having trouble and got the same error. I tried an Office repair, quick and full, which did not help. Teams and Outlook are on this computer and are having no trouble. I was also able to open word files on SharePoint with no issue.
I'm a little stymied any help would be greatly appreciated.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Sean
I had this problem for weeks in February and March and then disappeared.
This morning all fine and now this afternoon - without any changes whatsoever - it started again.
I am really not impressed with Microsoft as this is causing lots of time wasted and we need to work....!!
Any update from Microsoft on a PERMANENT solution to the glitch?
It is about time..! Thanks, Lucia
I have tried Nur Adibah binti Abd Razak's solution and got it to work for myself. I will try with my end users today. Office version 2021
Here is what is did:
The same error occurred with Excel 2019.