Why did Personal Vault authentication change?

Anonymous
2022-10-10T17:31:28+00:00

It used to be that when I accessed my Personal Vault, it would ask me to authenticate with Microsoft Authenticator. That suddenly disappeared, and now it gives me the options of authenticating with a fingerprint or my PIN. I don't want my PIN to work to get to my Personal Vault. Other people use my PIN to access my machine. I don't want to use the same authentication to get to my personal vault. I want that to go to Microsoft Authenticator so that it is different.

Why did it change, and how can I change it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-04-06T00:22:58+00:00

    I checked my 4 devices and my wife's PC to see what versions of OneDrive were installed:

    Two PCs operating correctly and requiring two-factor authentication via the app to open Personal Vault were:

    OneDrive version: Build 23.054.0313.0001 (64-bit)

    Three PCs only requiring PIN without two-factor authentication were:

    OneDrive version: Build 23.061.0319.0003 (64-bit)

    Both versions were available on Microsoft site for download. I downloaded the version that was on the working PCs (xx54.0313.001).

    On one of the PCs that had the PIN only version (xx61.0319.003), I uninstalled and reinstalled Build 23.054.0313.0001 (64-bit).

    After restarting and confirming the intended version was now installed, I found it still was allowing access to the Personal Vault with only the PIN.

    This inconsistency is a continuance of the frustration I've been dealing with for a couple of months working with Microsoft....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-05T14:19:35+00:00

    Unfortunately, installing an older version of OneDrive was something I'd tried previously. This fixed a couple of my 4 devices but the results were inconsistent - it didn't fix all of them. And the 'fix' ultimately reverted to PIN only.

    This is the frustrating part - I use Microsoft 365 and OneDrive on 4 devices. One would think there would be a straightforward setup by which all of these devices would work the same when accessing OneDrive/Personal Vault, however, this is not the case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-04T22:56:06+00:00

    I had a problem where a windows update wiped out my windows install and had to do a windows refresh/reinstall, afterwards I had this problem too, I uninstalled one drive and went to https://skydrive.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/4359541 and downloaded an older version and reinstalled it and it is now working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-02T17:44:54+00:00

    I have the same issue. It's not acceptable to have such important security features change from one day to another. Has anyone found a working solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments