How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-18T20:52:11+00:00

    @DominickPelletier Very much appreciate your comments. It does help to know that I'm not alone in my frustrations. I can't believe we're paying Microsoft for a product and they're clearly not willing to listen to our concerns (and why would it be such a big deal for them to let us rearrange items on the menu?!?).

    Thanks again for your reply - I'm sure there are many who feel the way we do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-18T04:17:06+00:00

    I don't have a solution for you, I just wanted to completely agree that this addition sucks. I keep inadvertedly opening the stupid editing menu every time I try to quickly cut something. I use a mix of shortcut and context menu, but still, what a complete headache. This combined with the highlighting of the misspellings is very irritating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-03T15:45:43+00:00

    Thanks, dude, but I'm sorry... that's just way too complicated. I haven't fiddled with code in over 20 years. Most of us are just ordinary non-tech people who want a simple way to do a sensible thing to correct what Microsoft in its arrogance will not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-03T15:26:24+00:00

    Wonderful. Another Microsoft headache. What is VBA (no acronyms please unless it's completely obvious what they mean)?

    The keyboard shortcut is not the simplest way for me most of the time. I want my old context menu back, with "cut" on the top.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments