How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-20T14:08:12+00:00

    If their bottom line would be hurt with this approach they would make a change, but they don't make a change because they don't have to. They are arrogant and they don't care about human beings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-18T21:10:09+00:00

    Yeah, I've sent feedback on this plenty of times and I know they have no interest in listening. Imagine if Microsoft actually had to care about their customers... what a wonderful world this would be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-04T12:03:35+00:00

    That may be the quickest way for you, but as I said in my previous replay most of the time I prefer to use the touchpad/mouse. It all depends on my finger positioning. You can't assume that the way that works best for you is the way that works best for everyone else. (And by this point, I think most of us have figured out what Ctrl-X and Ctrl-C do.)

    What makes this new feature even worse is that it won't appear if there's a hyperlink in the section I am cutting, so suddenly "cut" is back on top in those cases. I just want Microsoft to fix this idiocy. The arrogance of tech companies is unbelievable to me.

    Thanks for the other information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-03T15:36:04+00:00

    Here is the non-simple method to modify the right-click menus:

    Customize Text Shortcut Menu by Greg Maxey

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments