Power Query seems to have a problem handling null value. If there are blank rows within the range it "muddles" what comes after the blank row. (Incidentally the blank rows need to stay in place)
This is an example that I've just run on Power Query. I think that the range needs to be continuous and not contain any blank rows for it to work. As you can see the fourth row "10/02/2017 00:00" has not been changed, because it follows a blank row.
| BEFORE |
AFTER |
| 9/19/2018 12:00 AM |
19/09/2018 00:00 |
| 9/19/2018 12:00 AM |
19/09/2018 00:00 |
|
|
| 10/02/2017 00:00 |
10/02/2017 00:00 |
OK, I realize now I was not clear about this problem in my earlier reply.
YES!
When importing data into Power Query, you are correct, it cannot handle completely blank rows.
You have to remove the completely blanks rows, and blank columns, before you import the data into PowerQuery.
That is why I prefer to start by defining the data as an Excel table using the <CTL><T> shortcut. This will quickly identify blank rows/columns for you to delete, ie:
- use<CTL><T> to define a table
- if you find it does not include all of your data, delete the blank row or column
- Convert the table back to "normal"
- define table again. This will include more data
- Keep repeating until all data is included in table
- NOW you can import the data into PowerQuery to do data cleaning, like converting text to date data type
- after you close and save you may still find data errors, either correct / edit the input data (remove exceptions), just return into PowerQuery to correct those exceptions. One way to correct exceptions is to use the "find and replace" feature in PQ so that the fixes are not manual in future data)
Note: "Find and Replace" is "hidden" in PowerQuery under a different name (thanks for nothing MS!)
Transform tab > Any Column group > Replace Values drop down > Replace Values or Replace Errors.

Replace Values in Power Query 2019 03 01
https://yodalearning.com/tutorials/learn-how-replace-values-power-query/
There is a cool feature of Power Query which is known as ‘Replace Values’ feature. As the name suggests, it can replace any value with the new value you provide into your data table. You may go through step by step procedure where our Power Query Training **** expert has explained the topics in a detailed manner with examples that will help you to understand the concepts better.
We have a data set as shown in the steps below. We need to change the Country of a person as he has shifted from India to the U.S. Instead of changing the entire data table, we can directly make changes in the Power Query as explained in the steps below.
. Step 1: Select the data for replacing
. Step 2: Select Replace Values Option
. Step 3: Insert New Value
. Step 4: Close & Apply
.
oops, I just found another place to access "Find and Replace" I don't know if there is any functional difference between the two (I suspect they are the same):
Home tab > Transform group > Replace Values button

BULK Replace Values in Power BI / Power Query 2017 07 01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrRlPh_ZFQ
9min16
.
<edit>
I removed the last 3 links, they were showing blanks for me too. But not to worry. If you go to the above link, those 3 additional links are on that page and they appear to work. from there