Office 2007 Validation Error "0x80240023"

Anonymous
2020-06-10T16:05:52+00:00

Greetings,

I own Office 2007.  I realize that support is no longer provided for this version of office.  I am not interested in Office 365, and see no value in upgrading.  I paid for my license, and I would like to be able to continue working with it. 

I recently refreshed my Windows10 installation, and of course Office was one of the apps that did not persist.  When I try to do Windows Update, I receive error "0x80240023" because the download page is no longer valid.

How do I clear this error in Windows Update so that I can at least have the last patches available for my Office install?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-10T16:31:11+00:00

Review the win update settings to remove the Office update, though it should not have been present in the first place.

You wont have any Office 2007 updates as they were removed from MS Site in late 2014 when 2007 went out of support, so your Office install will be as per that installed version file/cd date

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-12T11:06:04+00:00

    So I was able to find a work around for this problem. 

    To prevent the problem MS Office File Validation update (KB2501584) from being reinstalled by Windows Update, use the “Show or Hide Updates” troubleshooter to hide it. Window Update won’t install hidden drivers or updates.

    Download the troubleshooter from the Microsoft Download Center:   http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab

    When you click the download link, you're prompted to open or save wushowhide.diagcab. I would suggest saving it because it doesn't get "installed". Then you can run the tool and "Hide" the problem download. This allows all the other updates to proceed without error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    40+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-15T22:31:25+00:00

    Review the win update settings to remove the Office update, though it should not have been present in the first place.

    You wont have any Office 2007 updates as they were removed from MS Site in late 2014 when 2007 went out of support, so your Office install will be as per that installed version file/cd date

    I just re-installed Office H+S 2007, and can certify that there are a large number of updates are available through the Windows Update facility. Though, I would presume there are no new updates. 

    However, if during the Office installation you selected the option for file validation, the Office Installation will succeed, but Windows update will install all other updates, but fail on the update for the Validation program with an error code of "0x80240023".

    When you search for this error code, the Microsoft support website gives a 404 Not Found.

    The FIX: go to catalog.update.microsoft.com, and search for 2501584 (KB2501584, but the KB is not required). Download the Validation tool, and install it (right-click on the MSI and choose install). After completion, run Microsoft Update and you'll see that it runs clean.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-12T10:42:10+00:00

    We all know that Office 2007 is out of support life, but Windows 10 Update has been updating Office 2007 consistently up until version 2004 of Windows 10.  The 0x80240023 error seems to be related to KB2501584.  Other Office 2007 updates do download and install properly.

    So my question is: Is this a bug or is this intentional?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-07T18:12:18+00:00

    The same utility allows you to un-hide updates that are hidden or you have set as hidden

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments