A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
Thanks for your reply.
We hope this update isn't delayed much
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016.
The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).
Sub Test()
Test1 "A", "B" 'Works OK with and without Windows Update
Test1 'Fails after Windows Update
End Sub
Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)
Test2 P
End Sub
Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant) 'Error occurs on this line
End Sub
This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.
Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.
Thanks
Chris
A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for your reply.
We hope this update isn't delayed much
I know that the release planned for yesterday did NOT get released yet. Some obstacles with build or packaging. Apologies for the delay. Maybe a few more days. I'm not directly connected to the build and release process, so I'm just relaying what I've been told.
Yes, the fix for 1903 / 19H1 is expected to release next Tuesday, the 27th, although our official prediction is "late August".
I regret the inconvenience to you.
Hi Scott,
Do you know if this update is already available?
Thanks for your help
Anita,
That doesn't sound like a likely result of this regression. Specifically, this problem relates to trying to copy an empty array to a variant. Without the patch, you may see an error relating to an invalid procedure call or argument.
Unless you can relate the problem you see to this issue, you're probably facing something else.
Scot, would this cause the Insert, File, or Insert Text to stop working?
I started my Word in safe mode but this still is a problem.
Thank you