Windows Update 2019-08 Cumulative Update has broken VBA code use case

Anonymous
2019-08-14T10:33:56+00:00

An issue with VBA code has started to be seen by some of my users and also by me this morning. I have tracked it down to have been caused by the latest 2019-08 Cumulative Update (e.g. KB4511553) and it is affecting all combinations of Windows and Office that I have seen so far- from Windows Server 2008 to Windows 10 & Office 2003(!) to Office 2016. 

The test code below demonstrates the problem. The method "Test" executes with no errors before the 2019-08 cumulative update is installed (or after it is uninstalled). However, after the update, the scenario of passing an empty ParamArray parameter to another method as a Variant parameter causes an error to be thrown on the declaration line of the second method. (Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument).

Sub Test()

    Test1 "A", "B"   'Works OK with and without Windows Update

    Test1            'Fails after Windows Update

End Sub

Sub Test1(ParamArray P() As Variant)

    Test2 P

End Sub

Sub Test2(ByVal P As Variant)    'Error occurs on this line

End Sub

This is causing errors in my Microsoft Access application, but I have also tried this code in Word 2016 and the same issue occurs there too.

Can somebody validate this, please? I'm not really sure what the correct way of reporting this problem is.

Thanks

Chris

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-21T05:06:55+00:00

    Yes, the fix for 1903 / 19H1 is expected to release next Tuesday, the 27th, although our official prediction is "late August".

    I regret the inconvenience to you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-21T04:48:38+00:00

    Hi Scott I'm experiencing this problem 

    I'm using Windows 10 Version 1903 OSBUILD 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

    The mentioned patch is for earlier builds

    Any updates on when one might get a fix released? This has been a huge distraction

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T14:58:22+00:00

    OK.  I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread to discuss the particulars of your new issue that is happening only on Windows 7, and giving the different error message. That will help keep from confusing this thread that is related to the regression of returning an invalid argument error when an array is empty.

    If you have a different regression, it would be best to discuss that on a separate thread, so others don't get confused about which is being discussed here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T14:49:25+00:00

    Hi,

    I think it's maybe related to the last updates of windows/office because i didn't change anything in my code and it worked for several years.

    Also, everything works fine for other users that don't have the last update.

    And it happened only in Win7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T14:32:22+00:00

    Sorry, Eran, that's not the error associated with this issue, and is therefore not one that would be resolved by our fixes. Our regression was very specifically related to trying to copy an empty array to a variant.  Sometimes this would appear as an error message like "invalid procedure call or call argument".

    If you are seeing "Method or data member not found", I think you need to keep looking in your code to diagnose why that's happening.

    Scot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments