A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Thanks for your work and post RanOtherwise! Looks promising.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I have a problem with my Excel 2016 (16.0.10228.20051 32-bit):
I have one Excel instance running. (N.B. - the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" checkbox in Advanced Options is NOT checked.) What I need is - for all Excel files that I am about to open to open in my first and only Excel instanc e, always, and regardless of:
and including when opening Excel files from other Office apps, i.e. Outlook attachments.
The behavior that I've been seeing in Excel 2016 is, at best, inconsistent:
I'd like to state at this point that this is not file specific, the file n+1 is usually a different file every time.
Also, I am aware of the workaround (i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window) and I am using it - the above is to demonstrate the symptoms I've been experiencing.
So that's my observations, hope it helps to shed some light on the issue. I know how to open files in a new instance if I want it. The problem is, it happens when I don't want it and in some cases, I don't seem to have any control over this.
Thanks,
J.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks for your work and post RanOtherwise! Looks promising.
Hi J,
Thanks for your feedback.
First we would suggest you update your Office to the latest version: File> Account> Update Options> Update Now.
I have done the test as you mentioned, following are the result:
(Three emails contain newly-created xlsx files attached and the files are not protected or set to read-only.)
Note: When I open the attachments, they are convert to protected view automatically.
We can’t confirm the rules that makes Excel open one instance or another instance.
We need some time to do some investigations and if there is any update, we will reply to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for your understanding.
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi J,
Is there any update?
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi J,
Thanks for your update.
According to our test, when we open files which are protected or read-only (in this case because they are locked for editing), they will be opened in new instances.
For example, when we open file A, B, C, D, E, file C is read-only, then we will get three instances: file A and B in one instance, file C in one instance, file D and E in one instance.
Please let me confirm with you why your files are locked for editing. Is someone else editing them, or are you using something to prevent them from opening in edit mode directly?
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi J,
Thanks for the detailed information.
We find that there is sync status column in your folder, we would like to confirm if you have Redirected Windows known folders to OneDrive.
If so, we may need some time to do the test for you.
Best Regards,
Gloria