Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-24T16:15:38+00:00

    OK - here is a partially corrected file:

    https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsKdy7Nfg\_FbgWZvkGg\_2naD\_\_R0

    What you need to do is change your named ranges to correspond to the text that is chosen in either cell C2 or C3. And you need to change your text so that it is descriptive of the range.  Also, I have included event code to clear out the cells when C2 changes, and to add "Leave blank" into C3 when it is not needed.

    For example - you had the named range OTHNS as the "Other" choice for Natural Sciences.  I changed the text in the Natural Sciences list from "Other" to "Other Natural Sciences"  and I changed OTHNS in the named range list to OtherNaturalSciences - the displayed text in C3 with the spaces removed.  That is the only one that I fixed - the rest is up to you.

    For the DV in C4, I used

    =INDIRECT(IF(C3="Leave Blank",SUBSTITUTE(C2," ",""),SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))

    So - any entry in C3 (or C2 for those that don't use C3)  needs to be a named range when the spaces are removed from the text.

    If you need further clarification, post back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-24T01:32:55+00:00

    It's not allowing me to save the file.  I don't use sharepoint - I use onedrive.live.com and have never had this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T20:13:19+00:00

    This is very weird. I am very sorry and I very much appreciate your patience. Is there any other way I can share with you my document? What about giving you my phone number here and you send me a text message containing an email that you barely use?

    Again, please excuse this inconvenience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T08:35:53+00:00

    https://mailaub-my.sharepoint.com/personal/kwa06\_mail\_aub\_edu/\_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=17ce30cc41fa0461f8bc104e1e3f08839&authkey=AUiqswyNiyB4Ea99AXS2MrA&expiration=2017-02-20T08:30:30.000Z

    I hope this is the correct link as I am not very friendly with microsoft drive.

    As you will see, the workbook is consisted of two sheets, one for the user to use, and the other holds the database. The previously explained issue should have elaborated my problem sir, but in case it didn't, please contact me immediately as I check this page regularly.

    My problem lies in cell C4 of the sheet "GE Courses Description". I want this cell to show the corresponding list based on the choice made from cell C3, which is based on the choice made from cell C2. 

    May be a bit odd and annoying, but I extremely appreciate your help.

    Awaiting your reply, thank you very much Bernie!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-19T15:11:04+00:00

    Make up a table of C2 and C3 combinations, and their list names, like

    Humanities List I English       ENGL1

    Humanities List I Others       _OTH1

    and use this in the place of your formula:

    =INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(C2 & " " & C3, ListAddress, 2, False))

    where ListAddress is the range where you created the table, like  $Z$2:$AA$30

    If the list is on another sheet you need to use a named range.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments