Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T20:06:22+00:00

    I still don't have permission to download the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T19:06:14+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T15:17:20+00:00

    I cannot download that file, and Excel online does not offer the required functionality. Could you change the file settings so that it can be copied or saved offline?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T04:04:44+00:00

    I can only get files from secure file-sharing websites, like microsoft live. So if you can upload your file and share a link here....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T18:10:19+00:00

    I would very much appreciate it sir. Could you kindly share with me your email so I can send you the file with the corresponding information?

    Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments