Why why why is video such a big FAIL in Sharepoint?

Anonymous
2016-11-11T00:32:20+00:00

For a couple of months I was able to get videos to work (and be responsive) in our intranet but now using the exact same process, all I get is:

"file format is unsupported ...."

Really? I'm so frustrated by everything about this rubbish service that given the choice, I would immediately cancel our 7000 licenses, but unfortunately I don't have that choice.  

We're using a blog site to publish content so my process was to "insert" a video (using the ribbon tool), select the uploaded file, save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive. Now when I insert a video I get the error noted above. How the **** could an mp4 file be an unsupported file type? What is going on ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T07:23:43+00:00

    Hi Webbrewers3,

    I tested on my side with the same step you performed except wrapping the code and the video plays fine.

    To reproduce the issue, could you please let us know how you wrap the code? If it is convenient, please share the code with us.

    Thanks,

    Ran

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-05T21:03:17+00:00

    Here's more proof of the calamitous experience users are having with videos in SPO:

    A video was working fine one minute but then after a pause and restart I see this:

    This is using Chrome which doesn't support Silverlight (without an extension). Why does Msft claim they browser sniff and provide the optimal video version available depending on the browser? Obviously that is not true. Msft never seems very good at doing anything remotely user friendly. And clearly they have not put enough thought or testing into presenting videos. No other platform I've ever used has had this many issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-15T16:41:54+00:00

    Hi webbrewers3,

    Could you provide the information in my initial reply? This will help us narrow down the issue.

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-13T14:25:08+00:00

    Let me break it down for you. The same process used previously now doesn't work. The videos in prior posts added in exactly the same way are still playing. I can't even insert the video used previously or a new video anymore in a new post. There is nothing different about the process or the post. If I copy the code from  a prior post and add it to an embed snippet, or the post's source, it is stripped out when saved.

    What is the point of having an "insert video" tool if it doesn't work?

    Nothing has changed here so perhaps you could look into recent updates over I'd say the last month and let me know what you've changed. Based on the number of bugs reported, it's obvious Msft doesn't test updates properly so that's most likely the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-11-11T09:52:27+00:00

    Hi webbrewers3,

    Mp4 video is supported in an Office 365 blog site. Regarding this issue, could you provide the following information?

    1. Please capture a full screenshot of the error ""file format is unsupported ....".
    2. Right click the local mp4 file > Properties > Details, and share a screenshot of the detailed information.
    3. Regarding "select the uploaded file", did you choose "From SharePoint" from "Video and Audio" dropdown list? If yes, where is the video stored?
    4. Regarding "save the post and then open "edit source" and  wrap the code in a div to make it responsive", please share the code with us.
    5. If you don't edit the code after inserting the video, does the error occur?

    Regards,

    James

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments