How do I get rid of "let's get started" activation page after kms activation?

Anonymous
2016-05-17T20:42:53+00:00

I have 2 new Dell XPS 15 laptops with Win 10 Pro, OS licensed via UEFI.  I uninstalled trial office without opening it and loaded Office 2016 Pro and activated it via KMS:

Still, opening any Office app brings up the Let's get Started" page wanting me to try/buy/activate Office:

How do I stop the activation page?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-06-16T19:36:39+00:00

Hello,

Thanks again for your patience while we figure out a valid solution for this issue. We have created an article that provides a workaround to remove the activation window message from reappearing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3170450.

Our engineering team is working on fixing this issue moving forward but we hope that the link above will resolve this issue on your machines via this workaround.

Thanks,

Michelle V

The Office Team

Was this answer helpful?

700+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-17T14:55:47+00:00

    This registry hack worked for me, first time I had seen this happen, of course this new laptop has an M2 SSD instead of a SATA drive so I could not image it as I usually do - had to use OEM OS and remove Office trialware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T18:37:52+00:00

    I have no pre-installed Office.  I want to use the online version.  I still get that screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-02T20:34:41+00:00

    Cyfish:

    I've duplicated your answer as working with the MAK version as well. I agree, uninstalling alone doesn't fix this problem. I wish the fixit tool reported what it did, though.  I took the additional step of uninstalling "Get Office" from the start menu after the reboot, but before reinstalling Office.

    Now, who can answer the key question: what Registry Key, Service, Process, or file causes the wizard to run?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-02T15:20:25+00:00

    I have been dealing with this issue for more than a week.  I find it frustrating that I would need to Reformat a NEW COMPUTER Drive to eliminate this activation pop up.  Office shows as activated, but I can not make the pop up go away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments