OneNote for Android: "Can't sign in, Please try again later." on Galaxy S7 Edge

Anonymous
2016-06-29T03:55:03+00:00

Hi,

Recently I have been getting an error when trying to log into OneNote on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone. WHen I type in my email and password, the app almost immediately pops up a window saying "Can't sign in: Please try again later."

My email and password are correct because I am able to login in to OneNote through the web, on OneNote on my PC, and on another one of my Android devices (an Nvidia Shield Portable). This is very frustrating because the app used to work just fine, but it wasn't until recently that this issue popped up, and I was about to switch over from Evernote and make OneNote my primary note taking app.

I have tried doing the following, but everything failed:

-Deleting the app and reinstalling it

-Clearing the cache and data on the app and restarting it

-Giving titles to all previously untitled notes (I read that was a possible fix for some people) through the website and trying to login again

I'm able to login with my same account on Excel, Word, Outlook (I use my work account with Outlook) and OneDrive, but OneNote is the only one that let me login.

Any suggestions for possible fixes for this issue? The next thing I'm going to try is uninstalling the app and reinstalling it after a few days.

Some additional details about my phone:

MODEL NUMBER: SM-G935T

ANDROID VERSION: 6.0.1

ANDROID SECURITY PATCH LEVELl: May 1, 2016

KERNEL VERSION: 3.18.20-7856276

dpi@SWDD3001 #1

Wed May 11 16:41:21 KST 2016

BUILD NUMBER: MMB29M.G935TUVS3APD8

SECURITY SOFTWARE VERSION: MDF v2.0 Release 7

VPN v1.4 Release 6.0

KNOX VERSION: Knox 2.6

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-01T00:53:40+00:00

I found a workaround. I searched around and downloaded the OneNote v.15 apk (one version behind the Play store version) and sideloaded it on my S7. I logged in just fine. I then went back to the Play store and updated the app to the current version. When I opened it, I was still logged in. Not only does this resolve our issue for now, but it demonstrates that the problem is in the current version of the app, not in the login servers on Microsoft's side. 

You're welcome. Here's the apk I used:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/microsoft-corporation/onenote/onenote-15-0-3931-1008-release/onenote-15-0-3931-1008-android-apk-download/

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-11T05:11:47+00:00

Hi All,

For users who are seeing "Can't Sign In. Please try again later" error message, the issue has been resolved with the latest update.

Please update to app version 16.0.6965.1825 for arm devices and 16.1.6965.1825 for x86 devices. Let us know if you still face issues.

Regards,

Mitali Jain

Program Manager

OneNote for Android

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T17:58:45+00:00

    Yes, I discovered the same thing yesterday - FYI for anyone else having this same problem, I had signed into the web version of OneDrive at onedrive.live.com, which I hadn't had any problem doing before (it was the apps that were giving me the problem), and then I saw my onenote notebook in the "Recent" folder - I clicked on it and it just opened up in the app.  I've been able to open the onenote app directly now too, and I'm already signed in and have no problems using it.  Yay!  (One thing I did not do is sign out of the app, since a). there's no reason for me to sign out of it, but more importantly b). I was afraid I might have a problem signing back in).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T06:46:31+00:00

    Not sure what Microsoft did, but as of tonight the sign in attempt accepts the email address and let me enter my password. Then OneNote did a sync in the background. Highly recommend sync over WiFi only, or you may end up using more cellular data than you want. 

    I didn't update Chrome or Android System Webview. I didn't update OneNote (since there wasn't a new version since the 9th) or any other MS apps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-11T15:57:07+00:00

    I'm having this issue too, on a new samsung galaxy Tab A.  I can sign into onenote and onedrive online, but neither of the apps themselves work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments