Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-18T15:08:42+00:00

    I have the exact same (SharePoint/Onenote) corruption problem with MSO2016 although there were no issues in the past with OneNote in MSO2010 or MSO2013 .  We reverted to MSO2010 and everything works fine again.  However, this is a real OneNote MSO2016 bug that Microsoft needs to fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T22:14:05+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried it, but the problem remains.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T21:10:30+00:00

    I have a question:

    On the 2010 computers:

    has the notebook ever been closed since the 2016 migration ?

    If not, close all notebooks on the 2010 computers and then re-open them, to re-build the cache.

    Bernd

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-10T07:11:53+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for keeping us updated.

    Does this issue persists if you save file on local drive then modify and save?

    I look forward to your reply to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T05:19:50+00:00

    Thanks, but that doesn't help.  The file format is already in 2010-2016 format. We had no problems when I was using Onenote 2013 for the last couple years.  Only when I upgraded to 2016 did the problem start.  I'm looking into licensing and cost of upgrading all our computers to 2016, which will likely solve the problem. Nevertheless, I shouldn't have to do this, as Microsoft claims 2010,2013 and 2016 are all compatible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments