Onenote 2016 compatibility issue with Onenote 2010

Anonymous
2015-10-08T23:37:43+00:00

Help... I'm running desktop version of Onenote (from 365 subscription) on Windows 10 computer in a small office. I recently updated to Onenote 2016, and have hit a major snag/compatibility issue.

My team (3 others) and I rely heavily on Onenote for collaborative projects and access a notebook (Onenote 2010-2016 file format) stored on a central local server.  They are all using Onenote 2010 desktop version on Windows 7 machines.  After updating to Onenote 2016 desktop version, every time I edit a page, it now (on their machines) says the page is corrupted, stops syncing the page on their machines, and prompts them to repair the section. After repairing, duplicate sections are made, and if I edit them, it corrupts it again, starting a vicious cycle.  Although they have issues and get the corruption prompt, my Onenote (2016) doesn't report any problem and I can make changes and operate normally.  Needless to say this has caused some major hair-pulling.  Any ideas?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-13T15:47:18+00:00

    We are experiencing the same problem. Shared notebooks (latest file format) on a network file share accessed by OneNote 2010, 2013, and 2016...

    • Edits made in 2010 show up in all versions with no problems
    • Edits made in 2013 show up in all versions with no problems
    • Edits made in 2016 show up in 2016 and 2013 with no problems, but result in corrupt sections when the notebooks are synced in 2010

    We had to revert the 2016 upgrades to 2013 to continue working collaboratively. It would be great to have this addressed before 2016 is rolled out automatically to our Office 365 machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T00:25:38+00:00

    We are pleased to let you know that this issue has been fixed in this update.  You can find the link to the update in this article,  February 9, 2016, update for OneNote 2010 (KB3114410)

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114410.  Thank you to everyone who helped by reporting this issue.  Please upgrade to this update and let us know if that fixes the issue for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-03T16:58:22+00:00

    I will refrain to upgrade to One Note 2016 on the three pc I use for business until I see some answer by Microsoft indicating that they have resolved this bug. And of course I will spread the word about the fatal flow that they have introduced with the new release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T20:16:20+00:00

    I'm not sure I understand your question. If I were to save the file locally, then the other computers would not have access.  Here's a quick break-down: 

    Onenote Notebook file (2010-16 file format) resides on local server, mapped to each of the following computers:

    Computer 1) Windows 10 (recently updated to Onenote 2016 from 2013)

    Computer 2) Windows 8 (recently updated to Onenote 2016 from 2013)

    Computers 3-6) Windows 7 Onenote 2010

    When we use computers #1 and #2 (both Onenote 2016), it seems everything is operating normally. However, once an edit is made to a specific page, users on computers #3-6 report that particular page as being corrupted. 

    Yesterday, we upgraded computer #3 to Onenote 2013.  It now is behaving like the Onenote 2016 computers in that it no longer reports a corruption, but when it is used to make an edit, all the Onenote 2010 computers report a corruption.  Weird, because we've been using Onenote 2013 and 2010 without any problems for years.  Maybe having a Onenote 2016 edit the file changed something??

    I need a quick solution, so will be upgrading all computers to either 2013 or 2016 (which version depends on cost).  

    I hope conveying  my problem helps others with this issue!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-10-09T04:40:40+00:00

    Hi,

    Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

    Please refer to the article which describe about how to convert old version of OneNote file into OneNote 2016 and check if it helps.

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-errors-in-OneNote-for-Windows-8-40976dfa-818f-4e5f-b8fb-b0fbb9bf785a

    Note: Article also applicable to Windows 10.

    Hope the above information helps. Reply if you need further assistance and I'll be happy to help you.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments