A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
This is a bit of a mystery. I haven't tested Word 2016 on Windows 7, but I haven't had any problems with Ctrl+Z in Word 2016 on Window 10.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
This is a bit of a mystery. I haven't tested Word 2016 on Windows 7, but I haven't had any problems with Ctrl+Z in Word 2016 on Window 10.
My problem is with Win 7 and Office 2016. It would appear that MS is gradually eliminating keystroke shortcuts in favor of on screen touches. All this to sell new computers with touch screens.
The shortcuts are far simpler and faster than dropping the mouse and touching the screen. It is hard to see how any serious user would happily give up the speed of keystrokes in favor of a touch screen. Serious writing and programming requires simple input. Many of us use our computers as tools, not toys.
I spent most of the day working on this. I now believe that MS has changed the game. I ran check dsk, nothing found. Ran full malwarebytes scan, nothing serious found. Uninstalled Office 365. Installed Office 365. Situation is exactly the same as reported before. However, I now notice a left-facing-worm icon on the bottom of the ribbon. Clicking on the worm a drop down menu has choices on what to do. (Looks exactly like the function in Libre Office.) I see no reason to take any more of your time. It is not worth it. I can live with Alt z for undo.
Thank you for being very thorough and patient.
I am pretty sure I've laid all blame at the feet of Windows 10 and its incompatibility with the family of Microsoft products. Sad, sad, sad when kissing cousins can't get along and try to kill each other.
I solved the problem by purchasing another laptop with Windows 8 and rejecting all invitations to 10 on it.
There have been several problems with Office 2016; there is no doubt about that. Problems with Undo isn't anything that everybody experiences, though.
Thanks for the follow-up.
I am pretty sure I've laid all blame at the feet of Windows 10 and its incompatibility with the family of Microsoft products. Sad, sad, sad when kissing cousins can't get along and try to kill each other.
I solved the problem by purchasing another laptop with Windows 8 and rejecting all invitations to 10 on it.