Undo won't work MS Word 365 on Windows 10

Anonymous
2015-09-25T18:25:33+00:00

In the toolbar at the top of Word, the UNDO option no longer works. Save, Redo, and Speak still function properly. Since Windows 10 upgrade, any program I open uses so much memory and CPU, typing and deleting are jerky and slow, so I use undo a lot. What the heck???

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-06T13:30:03+00:00

    I hate to say this, but my fix included scouring the market for a laptop with Windows 8 and installing Office 365. The invitations to upload 10 are promptly ignored and will be until Microsoft fixes the bugs and glitches. 

    No matter what I tried, I could NOT get Windows 10 and Office 365 or Word 2016 to play nice together. I can't begin to tell you how many hours of work and how many dollars of income I lost. Until I was able to replace my laptop, I resorted to using Google Docs. *shivers*

    I've heard once you go Mac, you never go back. I may be testing that theory in the near future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-01-06T01:24:28+00:00

    Of course, if you haven't changed computers recently, that rules out a keyboard issue, at least if the problem is limited to Word/Office.

    Note that almost any program can install an add-in without asking you first, and there are many poorly designed add-ins out there.

    A quick way to test for poor coding is to see what happens when running Word in (application) Safe mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-06T01:04:05+00:00

    I think we can end this discussion.

    Ctrl z was working very well up to the day I went to the New Office. Then it stopped working.

    I think I will wait and see what happens over time. Some other behavior issues in 2016, e.g. sorting in a table if there was a vacant row have gone away, I hope several others will also. The confusion we have shared is due to the difficulty of accurately describing a situation within the program.

    I have not installed any add-ins. 

    regards, bye

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2016-01-06T00:07:01+00:00

    Some how we are not communicating. I have Win 7 up to date. Office 2016. Ctrl z does nothing.

    Open Normal.dotm,>Options>Customize Ribbon>customize Keyboard>catatgory all>editundo. 

    For undo it lists ctrl z, which does not work, Alt z which I added and does work, and Alt Bksps which does work. What has happened?

    In a previous post, you wrote, "I looked into Keyboard assignments. Undo is listed but crtl z  does not show." That is why I thought you couldn't find Ctrl+Z in the list of the assigned commands.

    OK, since Ctrl+Z is there but not working, the problem could be with your computer's setup. Some keyboards require that you press the Fn (Function) for certain keys to work as expected. Often, the Fn key must be used with the F1–F12 keys, but it is worth testing it even with Ctrl+Z.

    You could also have a look at the BIOS settings and see what, if anything, can be customized there.

    If the above fails, have a second look at troubleshooting add-ins.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T22:46:03+00:00

    Some how we are not communicating. I have Win 7 up to date. Office 2016. Ctrl z does nothing.

    Open Normal.dotm,>Options>Customize Ribbon>customize Keyboard>catatgory all>editundo. 

    For undo it lists ctrl z, which does not work, Alt z which I added and does work, and Alt Bksps which does work. What has happened?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments